Rooms & Rates
Rooms at Deetjens are romantic and rustic, decorated with treasures from the past. Our quality beds feature 100% linen sheets (linen duvet covers are laundered fresh for each stay), as found in fine European hotels. Rooms look out onto lush redwood forest and the Inn’s well-tended gardens.
The Inn is a time-honored spot for honeymoons, anniversaries, and intimate gatherings of family and friends. Our hope is that, to quote a journal entry from a guest in 1955, that you "arrive here as a stranger, but depart as a friend."
We maintain this peaceful environment for you, miles away from the energy of modern life. Please know that we have no televisions, internet access or telephones in the rooms, and no cell phone coverage on the property. Our historic buildings have single-wall construction, and are far from soundproof. Five of our most historic rooms in the Hayloft Building (built in the 1930’s) share two bathrooms. All other rooms have private baths.
Please ask our staff about hiking trails on the Deetjens property: You'll find some of the best California Condor viewing in Big Sur just south of the Inn.
A personal welcome is essential at Deetjens, so please make your reservations by calling 831 667 2377.
Please remember that Deetjens is a rustic, historic Inn, with a dedicated office staff available Monday through Friday from 9:30am to 4pm and Saturdays from noon to 4pm to help you find the best rooms for your stay. Our mission is to protect the tranquility of the Inn, providing a peaceful, retreat-type experience for our many repeat as well as new guests. For this reason, Deetjens is suitable primarily for couples, individuals and small gatherings. Sorry, we do not do destination weddings or elopements.
At Deetjens we charge in full for the first two nights of your stay when you make a reservation. Your deposit is refundable when you cancel by seven days before your arrival date. There is a $20 cancellation fee. If you cancel with less than 7 days notice we will charge you for one night of your stay.
The Deetjens Inn Preservation Foundation is a 501c3 non-profit organization committed to the preservation of the Inn's buildings and the representation of a Big Sur lifestyle which serves the community at large. Ten dollars of your nightly room fee is a donation to assist in the preservation of our historic Inn. You will receive a letter confirming your donation.
- Check-in time is after 4 pm, and checkout time is noon.
- We love pets, but please leave them at home.
- All rooms are non-smoking.
- We require a two-night minimum stay on weekends.
- Rooms are subject to local Monterey County taxes.
- To insure a tranquil stay for all our guests, we ask that everyone be relatively quiet after 10pm and before 8am.
- Due to safety concerns, we do not offer rollaway beds.
- If there are more than 2 guests per room, we charge a $25 housekeeping fee for each additional guest.
- Families traveling with children under 8 years old can reserve the following rooms only: Lower AND Upper Creek OR Champagne AND Chalet. Due to our lack of sound-proofing we ask that families rent both rooms of these two room buildings.
Hayloft Building (Five rooms share two bathrooms)
- Van Gogh - $125
- Two Single Beds, Shared Bath
- Small and sweet, recalls the famous painter's bedroom at Arles.
- Little Room - $125
- Double Bed, Shared Bath
- A simple, romantic bedroom.
- Petite Cuisine - $105
- One Single Bed, Shared Bath
- For one person only, a tiny room with lots of charm.
- Honeymoon - $220
- Queen Bed, Shared Bath, Wood-burning Stove, Garden.
- A gracious room with a lovely private garden. A favorite of our repeat guests!
- Fireplace - $220
- Queen Bed, Shared Bath, Wood-burning Stove and Deck
- In the north corner of the Hayloft building, Fireplace has a sun-splashed deck overlooking the Inn's gardens.
the franklin house
- Chateau Fiasco (Upstairs Room) - $250
- Queen Bed, Private Bath and Deck
- A light-filled room with beautiful windows and a small, vine covered deck.
- Edys - $185
- Queen Bed, Private Bath, Garden View
- One of our most economical rooms, small and sweet.
- Franklin- $250
- Queen Bed, Private Bath and Fireplace
- Feel at ease in this simply lovely room.
- Grandpa’s Room - $270
- Queen Bed, Single Bed (In an Alcove), Wood-burning Stove, Private Bath
- The former home of the Inn's founder Grandpa Deetjen, this room has special magic, and Grandpa's "vinyl" aka record collection.
- Top Antique- $230
- Queen Bed, Single Bed (In an Alcove), Private Bath
- An upstairs room with sloping roofs and garden view.
- 13th Room - $270
- Queen Bed, Single Bed, Wood-burning Stove, Private Bath
- Enjoy a book in the window seat overlooking the canyon.
- Antique Apartment - $270
- Queen Bed, Single Bed, Wood-burning Stove, Private Bath
- This was the Inn's antique store in the 1950's.
- New Room - $270
- Queen Bed, Private Bath and Wood-burning Stove.
- Relax in the quiet energy of New Room, built in 1951.
- Champagne - $270
- Queen Bed, Wood-burning Stove, Private Bath
- Built in 1941, this charming room has a peaceful forest view.
- Chalet (Upstairs Room) - $230
- Queen Bed, Two Single Beds, Private Bath
- (Three guest maximum in Chalet due to sound-proofing concerns.)
- Castro Cabin - $250
- Double Bed, Private Bath and Deck overlooking the creek.
- Our only standalone cabin sits under the redwoods next to the Castro Canyon Creek.
- Upper Creek (Upstairs Room) - Closed due to storm damage
- Queen Bed, Single Bed (In an Alcove), Private Bath and Deck
- Enjoy the forest view from the deck of this simple upstairs room.
- Lower Creek - Closed due to storm damage
- Queen Bed, Two Single Beds, Private Bath and Fireplace
- Our most comfortable room for four people, Lower Creek also has a game table and a view of the creek at the edge of the forest.
- (Lower and Upper Creek rented together also works well for groups of up to seven people.)
the stokes building
- Stokes - Closed due to storm damage
- Queen Bed, Private Bath, Wood-burning Stove and Deck
- Romantic Stokes offers a deck under the redwoods, and comfortable chairs in front of the fire.
- Faraway - Closed due to storm damage
- Queen Bed, Private Bath with Tub, Wood-burning Stove and Deck
- Farthest away from our restaurant, Faraway is private and inviting.